sunglee2

I signed up for a payment plan with the IRS through TurboTax, what's next? Do I use the payment vouchers, even if I signed up for the direct payment through my bank?

LOOK  at those VOUCHERS carefully !!!!  You should ONLY have ONE for the entire 2017 balance due .... if you want to use it to make a partial payment then just line out the amount and enter the amount you are paying. 

You will not hear from the IRS about the payment plan acceptance or denial until sometime in May at the earliest.  

If you see 4  form 1040ES vouchers they are for the 2018 estimated quarterly payments NOT for the 2017 balance due ... they are not the same to do NOT  mix them up. 

sunglee2

Thanks!  Do you know if the first payment (if i signed up for the payment plan) needs to be paid via mail/voucher?  Or will they remove that from my account directly as well?

If you asked for DD then all the payments will be that way.
TomK

No, you do not need to use the payment vouchers if you have already set up a payment plan using direct debit.

sunglee2

Thanks for this, so how long do they take for the initial payment?  I set up an amount for the initial payment, but that was 5 days ago and hasn't been taken out of my account yet

The first payment will probably not happen until they process the return which for balance due returns could be not until 4/17/18 ... so just expect the first payment to happen anytime since you don't know when that will happen.