ringli888

I sent my ITIN application to ITIN Operation, but erroneously sent my tax return separately to the IRS regular address. What I can do now?

WAIT ... that is what you do now.   The IRS should reject the return since it doesn't have valid ID numbers on it so don't be surprised when it shows up at your door.  Also the ITIN application will probably be rejected as well ... if it is then send the return with the ITIN app this time.

If they actually do process the ITIN app then when you do get the ITIN in the mail you can put it on the return and mail it in at that time.  

ringli888

!
ringli888

Thank you for your answer. The ITIN application is rejected because because no attach the 1040 Form. However, the IRS didn't reject the return, but mail a CP11A notice to us for change the return due miscalculation. Can we resend the return with the ITIN app for this case? Thank you very much for your help!

Crud ... what a mess.   First call the number on the notice and tell them what you did and ask if you should simply apply  for the ITIN correctly this time  and if they could simply reject the entire return now so the correct one can be processed later.

If they say no then all you can do is agree with their decision then AMEND the return to reverse their changes and send the amended return with the ITIN application. Sadly, due to the new rules listed below, you may no longer be eligible for the EIC ... but you can try ...  

"The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes or PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment. You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.