turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jetsie

I see where my gambling winnings of $1000 were add to income but I don't see where it was reduced by the losses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I see where my gambling winnings of $1000 were add to income but I don't see where it was reduced by the losses?

Your gambling winnings does not get reduced by your losses on your tax return.  It is still be taxable to you, however, you can deduct your gambling loss up to your gambling winnings.  Therefore, if you have more than $1000 losses, you can only deduct $1000 on Schedule A if you are itemizing.  

To enter gambling winnings and losses information in TurboTax Premier online program, go to:

If you have a Form W-2G, go to: 

• Sign in to your TurboTax online account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in W2g and Enter
  • Select to Jump to W2g and follow the prompts
  • On-screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, select Enter A W-2G and enter information
  • Follow step-by-step interview questions, on-screen Gambling Losses, enter the amount.

If you DO NOT have a Form W-2G, go to: 

• On-screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, select Skip W-2G and enter information
  • Next screen, Any Other Gambling Winnings, answer Yes and follow prompts
  • Next screen Gambling Losses, enter the amount.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Your gambling winnings does not get reduced by your losses on your tax return.  It is still be taxable to you, however, you can deduct your gambling loss up to your gambling winnings.  Therefore, if you have more than $1000 losses, you can only deduct $1000 on Schedule A if you are itemizing.  

To enter gambling winnings and losses information in TurboTax Premier online program, go to:

• Sign in to your TurboTax online account and select Pick up where you left off
  • On-screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, select Enter A W-2G and enter information
  • Follow step-by-step interview questions, on-screen Gambling Losses, enter the amount.

• On-screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, select Skip W-2G and enter information

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

• Sign in to your TurboTax online account and select Pick up where you left off

•  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies