turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I see that the TurboTax program does not show personal exemptions and means I have an additional $8000 plus of taxable income; did your program leave something out?

There doesn't seem to be a form which shows what my taxable income is figured on.  The 1040 form just throws some numbers on there, but doesn't mention personal exemptions.  Nor is schedule A listed under forms.  How do I know that you are doing what I need to be done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I see that the TurboTax program does not show personal exemptions and means I have an additional $8000 plus of taxable income; did your program leave something out?

Beginning in 2018, due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the personal exemption has been eliminated

Instead, the Standard Deduction has been increased to the following:

• Single/Married File Separate- $12,000
  • Head of Household- $18,000
  • Married Filing Joint- $24,000

Due to the increase in the Standard Deduction, many filers that are used to Itemizing Deductions on Schedule A no longer have to because their Itemized Deductions are less than the Standard Deduction.  TurboTax automatically chooses the higher of the two.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Personal exemptions are gone for 2018 with new tax law.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Beginning in 2018, due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the personal exemption has been eliminated

Instead, the Standard Deduction has been increased to the following:

• Single/Married File Separate- $12,000
  • Head of Household- $18,000
  • Married Filing Joint- $24,000

Due to the increase in the Standard Deduction, many filers that are used to Itemizing Deductions on Schedule A no longer have to because their Itemized Deductions are less than the Standard Deduction.  TurboTax automatically chooses the higher of the two.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies