turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I RECIEVED OVER $1100 BACK LAST YEAR, AND NOW I HAVE TO PAY OVER $1700. HELP!!!

EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE DIED IN 2017, MY INCOME HAS NOT CHANGED. MY TAXES PAID IN 2019 ARE $1269.87.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, while in 2017 you were still able to file a Married Filing Joint tax return, in 2018 - unless you remarried - you are filing Single.  This is a much less favorable filing status.  If you are unable to pay the tax at this time, you have a couple of options:

1. Your payment is not due until April 15, 2019.  You can file now and save up to pay the tax on April 15th.
  2. You can request an installment plan from the IRS.  The request is part of the TurboTax program - our FAQ on how to request the installment plan when you file is below.
  3. You can request an installment plan after filing by using the IRS Installment Plan form. 

If you still have dependent children, please comment and I will discuss other options for filing which may be more advantageous to you.

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4062611

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, while in 2017 you were still able to file a Married Filing Joint tax return, in 2018 - unless you remarried - you are filing Single.  This is a much less favorable filing status.  If you are unable to pay the tax at this time, you have a couple of options:

1. Your payment is not due until April 15, 2019.  You can file now and save up to pay the tax on April 15th.
  2. You can request an installment plan from the IRS.  The request is part of the TurboTax program - our FAQ on how to request the installment plan when you file is below.
  3. You can request an installment plan after filing by using the IRS Installment Plan form. 

If you still have dependent children, please comment and I will discuss other options for filing which may be more advantageous to you.

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4062611

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies