nelson1108528

I RECIEVED OVER $1100 BACK LAST YEAR, AND NOW I HAVE TO PAY OVER $1700. HELP!!!

EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE DIED IN 2017, MY INCOME HAS NOT CHANGED. MY TAXES PAID IN 2019 ARE $1269.87.

KittyM

Unfortunately, while in 2017 you were still able to file a Married Filing Joint tax return, in 2018 - unless you remarried - you are filing Single.  This is a much less favorable filing status.  If you are unable to pay the tax at this time, you have a couple of options:

1. Your payment is not due until April 15, 2019.  You can file now and save up to pay the tax on April 15th.
  2. You can request an installment plan from the IRS.  The request is part of the TurboTax program - our FAQ on how to request the installment plan when you file is below.
  3. You can request an installment plan after filing by using the IRS Installment Plan form. 

If you still have dependent children, please comment and I will discuss other options for filing which may be more advantageous to you.

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

KittyM