turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vlasiak

I'm a permanent resident of US, but since Jan to Apr 2018 I lived and worked in my country of citizenship and payed my taxes for these months there. Should I mention it?

I was a permanent resident of US (green card holder) for the entire 2018 (first time filing tax return this year), but in fact from January to April I lived and worked in Ukraine (my country of citizenship) and payed my taxes for these months there. In May I moved to US and from July to the end of the year I worked here and have a corresponding W-2 form. Should I mention my income from Ukraine somewhere when filing my tax return with turbotax even though it's already been payed off? If so, how does it impact my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I'm a permanent resident of US, but since Jan to Apr 2018 I lived and worked in my country of citizenship and payed my taxes for these months there. Should I mention it?

Welcome!

As a new green card holder in 2018, you need to  file a dual status return. 

Dual status return (part year nonresident and part year resident).  A dual status return has some restrictions.  You cannot use the standard deduction but instead must use itemized deductions.  If you are married, you can only file married filing separately.

To File a Dual Status Return:

In order to prepare a dual status return in TurboTax, you will need to print a copy of the nonresident return (Form 1040NR from the IRS website) for your tax on US income after May. There will most likely be no US source income to enter for that time.  So your income on this form will probably be zero unless you received US income after moving out of the US.. Write on the top of the 1st page of the 1040NR, Dual Statement. You will need to write in your name and address and input zero as your US source income (if that is the case).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf

Then for the resident part of the return you prepare in TurboTax, you are not allowed to use the standard deduction, only itemized deductions if you are filing a dual status return.  Also, you can either file single (if you are single) or married filing separately.

You must suppress the standard deduction.  Instructions for this are below.

When your resident part of the return is finished in TurboTax, print the return and write on top of the return, Dual Return. 

Put the 1040 TurboTax return on top of 1040NR return and staple and mail to the IRS.  You must sign the 1040 return before mailing.  You do not need to sign the 1040NR statement.

You will need to staple your 1040 and 1040NR together and mail to the following address:

If you  are not enclosing a payment then use this address...

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX  73301-0215

USA

If you are enclosing a payment then use this address...

Internal Revenue Service

P. O. Box 1303

Charlotte, NC 28201-1303

USA

Please see more help on dual status returns see page 7 of Pub 519.

Publication 519

You must choose itemized deductions.  Please follow the below instructions to switch to itemized deductions.

TurboTax Online instructions to suppress standard deduction

First, sign in and make sure your return is open. You should see 2018 TAXES in your left-hand menu as pictured below (if not, tap or click the upper-left corner to expand the menu or select Take me to my return).

Once your return is open:

1. From the left-hand menu, select Federal (on mobile devices, you might need to scroll down).
  2. Now select Deductions & Credits near the top of your screen.
  3. When you get to Now it's time for the fun part... Your tax breaks, scroll all the way to the bottom and select Wrap up tax breaks (if you don't see this button, select Skip to see all tax breaks, then scroll down again).
  4. Continue through the interview until you see The Standard [or Itemized] Deduction is Right for You, pictured below.
  5. On that screen, check the box Change my deduction to see the dollar amount for each deduction.
  6. Select Continue if you want to save any changes. If you're switching to the itemized deduction, you may be prompted to upgrade.

[Edited 03.24.20 | 3:45 pm]

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

What date did you enter the US in 2018 and what date did you receive your green card.  Were you in the US in 2016 or 2017.  If so, how many days were you in the US for 2016 and 2017?
vlasiak

I received my green card on October 4, 2017, that's also a date I entered the US for the first time. Then I went back to Ukraine on November 5, 2017. For what it's worth, I wasn't working in US during those 33 days. Next time I entered the US was May 3, 2018. I started to work here on July 9, 2018 and stayed here until the end of the year. Thanks!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Welcome!

As a new green card holder in 2018, you need to  file a dual status return. 

Dual status return (part year nonresident and part year resident).  A dual status return has some restrictions.  You cannot use the standard deduction but instead must use itemized deductions.  If you are married, you can only file married filing separately.

To File a Dual Status Return:

In order to prepare a dual status return in TurboTax, you will need to print a copy of the nonresident return (Form 1040NR from the IRS website) for your tax on US income after May. There will most likely be no US source income to enter for that time.  So your income on this form will probably be zero unless you received US income after moving out of the US.. Write on the top of the 1st page of the 1040NR, Dual Statement. You will need to write in your name and address and input zero as your US source income (if that is the case).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf

Then for the resident part of the return you prepare in TurboTax, you are not allowed to use the standard deduction, only itemized deductions if you are filing a dual status return.  Also, you can either file single (if you are single) or married filing separately.

You must suppress the standard deduction.  Instructions for this are below.

When your resident part of the return is finished in TurboTax, print the return and write on top of the return, Dual Return. 

Put the 1040 TurboTax return on top of 1040NR return and staple and mail to the IRS.  You must sign the 1040 return before mailing.  You do not need to sign the 1040NR statement.

You will need to staple your 1040 and 1040NR together and mail to the following address:

If you  are not enclosing a payment then use this address...

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX  73301-0215

USA

If you are enclosing a payment then use this address...

Internal Revenue Service

P. O. Box 1303

Charlotte, NC 28201-1303

USA

Please see more help on dual status returns see page 7 of Pub 519.

Publication 519

You must choose itemized deductions.  Please follow the below instructions to switch to itemized deductions.

TurboTax Online instructions to suppress standard deduction

First, sign in and make sure your return is open. You should see 2018 TAXES in your left-hand menu as pictured below (if not, tap or click the upper-left corner to expand the menu or select Take me to my return).

Once your return is open:

1. From the left-hand menu, select Federal (on mobile devices, you might need to scroll down).
  2. Now select Deductions & Credits near the top of your screen.
  3. When you get to Now it's time for the fun part... Your tax breaks, scroll all the way to the bottom and select Wrap up tax breaks (if you don't see this button, select Skip to see all tax breaks, then scroll down again).
  4. Continue through the interview until you see The Standard [or Itemized] Deduction is Right for You, pictured below.
  5. On that screen, check the box Change my deduction to see the dollar amount for each deduction.
  6. Select Continue if you want to save any changes. If you're switching to the itemized deduction, you may be prompted to upgrade.

[Edited 03.24.20 | 3:45 pm]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies