wworkingstiff

I received Foster Care/Kinship care payments from Marathon Count department of Social Services for my grandson. Is this considered income? Where do I enter this?

NancyG

Foster care payments are non-taxable.  Do not enter the 1099-Misc if you receive one.

Internal Revenue Bulletin:  2014-4 

Section 131(a) excludes qualified foster care payments from the gross income of a foster care provider.

Section 131(b)(1) defines a qualified foster care payment, in part, as any payment under a foster care program of a state or a political subdivision that is either (1) paid to the foster care provider for caring for a qualified foster individual in the foster care provider’s home, or (2) a difficulty of care payment. 

CatinaT1

Internal Revenue Bulletin:  2014-4