Solved: I received a SSA-1099 after filing. It states if I earn more than $25k taxable wages it is taxable. Adjusted gross income is ~$16k, but taxable wages were ~$6k. Re-file?

mariaevalrz

I received a SSA-1099 after filing. It states if I earn more than $25k taxable wages it is taxable. Adjusted gross income is ~$16k, but taxable wages were ~$6k. Re-file?

I received a SSA-1099 form about a week after I filed. Total net benefits for the year in that form were $13,868. It states that if I earn more than $25,000 in taxable wages, the income I received from Social Security is taxable.

I worked a full-time job about two thirds of the year, and I attempted to start a business to sell stuff online. In my 1040, adjusted gross income was at $16,147 but taxable income (line 43) has $5747. A lot of deductions because I basically lost money in my business. 

If I count the adjusted gross income and the social security benefits, my yearly income is at $30,015. If I only count the taxable wages, my earnings are at $19,615.

Do I have to refile, and possibly pay more taxes?

MaryK1

Yes, you will probably have to pay tax on some of your social security so you will have to amend your tax return.  The amendment will be available soon, so check back at turbotax.com and please ask if you have questions when preparing.

mariaevalrz

Added more information, question from title is inaccurate. Please re-review. :(
MaryK1

Thanks for the additional information, unfortunately, yes the IRS does use the total income so you will have to amend your tax return.
mariaevalrz

Awesome, thanks for the help! 🙂 Amending my return now!
MaryK1

mariaevalrz

Hello, thanks for the link. I'm stumped again when it's asking what are my taxable wages. Is it adjusted gross income, or the taxable wages from line 43?