turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a letter stating I was selected for review and the process could take up to 60 days. Has anyone experienced this before ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

I received a letter stating I was selected for review and the process could take up to 60 days. Has anyone experienced this before ?

Selection for an audit does not always suggest there’s a problem. The IRS uses several different methods:

• Random selection and computer screening - sometimes returns are selected based solely on a statistical formula. They compare your tax return against “norms” for similar returns. They develop these “norms” from audits of a statistically valid random sample of returns, as part of the National Research Program the IRS conducts. The IRS uses this program to update return selection information.
  • Related examinations – They may select your returns when they involve issues or transactions with other taxpayers, such as business partners or investors, whose returns were selected for audit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Selection for an audit does not always suggest there’s a problem. The IRS uses several different methods:

• Random selection and computer screening - sometimes returns are selected based solely on a statistical formula. They compare your tax return against “norms” for similar returns. They develop these “norms” from audits of a statistically valid random sample of returns, as part of the National Research Program the IRS conducts. The IRS uses this program to update return selection information.
  • Related examinations – They may select your returns when they involve issues or transactions with other taxpayers, such as business partners or investors, whose returns were selected for audit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies