I receive ssi for my son. His father is asking for a copy of the statement because he claims him this year. Does he have to report that even if I receive the money?

No.  The SSI does not go on the parents' tax return.  His father does not need your statement.

He claims because there is a question on the tax form asking if anyone in the household receives SSI and that’s why he needs it.

There is no support requirement for a parent to claim a qualifying child dependent so he doesn't need it. The only requirement is that the child not provide more than half their own support.

If you are the custodial parent who the child lived with more than half the nights of the year, you are the one who decides who can claim the child as a dependent. If you agree to let the other parent claim the child, the only thing the other parent can claim is the dependency and the child tax credit. You as the custodial parent are the one who can claim Head of Household filing status, EIC and child care credit.

The child is not a member of his household if he is the non custodial parent ... so tell him to answer NO.

Even if it’s 50/50 custody, with me having 70% placement and him 30%?

Not that it matters but do you mean ssi supplemental security income OR Social Security Income?  They are different.  A lot of times people say ssi when they mean Social Security but it’s not.

Supplemental security income

If there’s a difference can you verify for me? I’m just trying to figure out if he needs that information or not

There is NOTHING on a Federal tax return for the non-custodial parent that asks for SSI income.   You do not report it on your tax return and he does not report it on his.

Ask him exactally what and where he is being asked to enter that information.

Briefly, there are 5 tax benefits of having a child dependent: Dependent exemption, child tax credit, dependent care credit, head of household, and eligible for EIC. The tax code assigns all 5 benefits to the parent who has custody more than half the time.  Custody is defined as where the child sleeps at night.  (If the child is on a sleep over of a camping trip etc, the day is counted toward the parent where the child would have slept if not for the event in question.)

So for the IRS there is no 50% custody, you have to count nights, and one parent will almost always have more than the other.  If for some reason the # of days is exactly equal (like in a leap year, 366 days, exactly 183 nights for each parent) then the tax benefits are assigned to the parent with the higher income.

If the divorce decree says that the non-custodial parent (parent with less than 50% time) gets the dependents in a certain year, the custodial parent must fill out and sign a copy of form 8332 and give it to the other parent, this releases the tax benefits to the other parent.  However, the form 8332 only transfers the dependent exemption and the child tax credit. Eligibility for Head of Household, Dependent Care Credit, and EIC always stays with the custodial parent and cannot be transferred.  The only way to transfer all 5 tax benefits from one parent to the other parent is to arrange the children's sleeping schedules so that the desired parent qualifies for the particular year.

If you are the custodial parent, then in the years when you give your ex the form 8332 allowing him or her to claim the dependent exemption and child tax credit, you can still qualify for EIC, Head of Household and the Dependent Care benefit.  You do this by carefully answering the questions in the dependent interview in turbotax by saying yes you have a dependent, and yes you are signing a form 8332 to allow the ex to claim the exemption.  Turbotax will assign a special status to your children of "Non-dependent, EIC or Care Credit Only"