turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eschell32

I want to file my taxes as e-file, but I already hit the mail in option. is there anyway to change it to the e-file option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I want to file my taxes as e-file, but I already hit the mail in option. is there anyway to change it to the e-file option?

Yes, we can tell you how to change it as long as you haven't actually mailed it.

Does TurboTax think you were finished, so the return is closed, and you need to know how to open the unfiled return back up to change the filing method?
eschell32

I printed out my return, but haven't mailed it. I just want to know how to change it from the mailing option to the e-file option.

Is your return still open, or do you need to know how to open it back up to get to the FILE section?

If  TurboTax thinks you were finished and  your return is closed, we can tell you the steps to open it back up.
eschell32

I believe it is closed. it doesn't give me an option to go to the File section.

As long as you have not actually filed (mailed or efiled), here's how to change filing methods if TurboTax thinks you are finished:

• Log in and go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click that line or the word SHOW to expand.
  • Under 2017 choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go through the FILE tab and change the filing method to "efile."
  • Then be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen which has a button "Transmit My Returns Now" and click that.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

eschell32

oh yes that worked thank you. one last question though, I'm in the military and don't have my tax return info from last year because I filed with somebody at home and not on turbo tax and its asking for my info from last year? is there anyway I can get around that and still e-file?

Are you asking in regards to the 2016 AGI for verifying for efiling?   Your only options are to use either the 2016 AGI or your Self-Select PIN from last year (the one where you chose the 5 digits.)   You have to use one or the other in order to efile.    The exception would be if you filed real late in the year, such as November 2017 or later.  In that case one could use an AGI of 0 for efiling.

You could see if you can download your 2016 tax return transcript from the IRS website to get the AGI.  It's a very sensitive document so you have to be careful with it.    If you don't qualify to download one there, you can order one to come by postal mail, which takes 5-10 calendar days.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript">http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript</a>

Yes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies