krp2019

I physically worked as an independent contractor in IN, but the 3rd party agency who hired me is in GA. Which state should I file my tax for this income, IN or GA?

I live in Connecticut (if that affects my situation)

TomD8

Assuming you never actually worked in GA:

That income will be taxable by both IN and CT.  It will NOT be taxable by GA.

Taxable by IN because that's where you actually performed the work.  Taxable by CT because your home state can tax ALL your income, regardless of where it was earned.

You'll file a non-resident IN return in addition to your regular CT return.  You'll be able to take a credit on your CT return for the taxes paid to IN, so you won't be double-taxed on that income.

In TurboTax, it's important to complete your non-resident return BEFORE you do your home state return, so that the credit flows properly.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8