Solved: I permanently live in OR, work here most of the year. The other several months of the year, I work a different job in NC. What is my residency status? How should I file?

I permanently live in OR, work here most of the year. The other several months of the year, I work a different job in NC. What is my residency status? How should I file?

I am a permanent residence of Oregon. I work for the Department of Forestry in OR for 5-7 months out of the year. The other several months, I work a seperate job in NC, where I live temporarily. What residency status should I be using? Please provide additional direction on how I should file. 

Oregon (OR) would be your resident state and North Carolina (NC) would be a nonresident state since your permanent residence is in OR. Prepare the nonresident state first, then your resident state return last.

The first thing to do is to make sure you have the states available by going to the "My Info" in the black navigation panel (online version)  "Personal Info" tab (desktop version)and scrolling to the "Other State Info" section to add the additional state

Resident State:  All income worldwide is required to be reported on your resident state return.  Any money that is also taxed in a nonresident state is eligible for the "credit for taxes paid to another state" when you complete your resident state return.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income.

Nonresident State: Any money earned in a nonresident state is required to be reported on that state tax return (with the exception of reciprocal agreements which does not apply in this case).  The nonresident state will tax any income earned while you were in that state.