turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I pay the town of Dartmouth a fee for the use of my boat mooring which I own. Is that fee deductible?

The town charges an annual waterway fee for the use of my mooring which I own. Non -residents are charged a greter fee than town residents and it is an annual fee.

Is his fee deductible on Federal or MA state returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I pay the town of Dartmouth a fee for the use of my boat mooring which I own. Is that fee deductible?

Personal living expenses are rarely deductible. Only those expenses which Congress has decided to give preferential treatment, such as mortgage interest. 

Expenses that are incurred as part of generating income are deductible. If you had a boat based small business, or if you rented the home and paid the fee so that renters could use their own boats, then the fee might be deductible as a business or a rental expense. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Unless you have a business and use this boat in your business, I'm not seeing how this could be a deduction.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Personal living expenses are rarely deductible. Only those expenses which Congress has decided to give preferential treatment, such as mortgage interest. 

Expenses that are incurred as part of generating income are deductible. If you had a boat based small business, or if you rented the home and paid the fee so that renters could use their own boats, then the fee might be deductible as a business or a rental expense. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies