Solved: I paid off an IRS debt of $9000 in 2017 and I need ot know if the IRS sends be a form to make sure I account for it when I file my taxes?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dclemmen10

I paid off an IRS debt of $9000 in 2017 and I need ot know if the IRS sends be a form to make sure I account for it when I file my taxes?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
xmasbaby0
Level 15

I paid off an IRS debt of $9000 in 2017 and I need ot know if the IRS sends be a form to make sure I account for it when I file my taxes?

Federal tax you paid is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your 2017 federal tax return.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
xmasbaby0
Level 15

Federal tax you paid is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your 2017 federal tax return.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings