Solved: I paid off an IRS debt of $9000 in 2017 and I need ot know if the IRS sends be a form to make sure I account for it when I file my taxes?

dclemmen10

I paid off an IRS debt of $9000 in 2017 and I need ot know if the IRS sends be a form to make sure I account for it when I file my taxes?

Federal tax you paid is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your 2017 federal tax return.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.