• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tannyafisher

I paid all living expenses for my daughter who lives with me but do not want to claim her as a dependent. How do I do that on Turbotax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tannyafisher

I paid all living expenses for my daughter who lives with me but do not want to claim her as a dependent. How do I do that on Turbotax?

Sorry, my original question was incomplete. I want to file as Head of Household because I supported my daughter but do not want to claim her as a dependent.  I'm able to do that when I file by paper, how do I do that with TurboTax?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tannyafisher

Sorry, my original question was incomplete. I want to file as Head of Household because I supported my daughter but do not want to claim her as a dependent.  I'm able to do that when I file by paper, how do I do that with TurboTax?

View solution in original post

AmyW

TurboTax will automatically walk you through the process when you add the dependent on the tax return as long as you are the custodial parent that the child lived with for more than half of the year. If your child lived with you for more than half of the year, and you indicate that in the personal information section, then you will have the option to claim your child as a non-dependent for EIC and that the other parent is claiming the child as a dependent.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v