Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lebetz

I paid $117.33 for a Fire Prevention Fee (07/01/15 - 6/30/2016) from the State Board of Equalization (Cal Fire). Can any of this be written off?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid $117.33 for a Fire Prevention Fee (07/01/15 - 6/30/2016) from the State Board of Equalization (Cal Fire). Can any of this be written off?

Since it is charged uniformly against all property, then it IS deductible.

This, from IRS Tax Topic 503:

Deductible real estate taxes are generally any state, local, or foreign taxes on real property levied for the general public welfare. The charge must be uniform against all real property in the jurisdiction at a like rate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Since it is charged uniformly against all property, then it IS deductible.

This, from IRS Tax Topic 503:

Deductible real estate taxes are generally any state, local, or foreign taxes on real property levied for the general public welfare. The charge must be uniform against all real property in the jurisdiction at a like rate.

nclark

except that the IRS put out a notice saying that the California fire fee is not deductible... see: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1310029.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1310029.pdf</a>      I'd rather it was, but it's not....

wow, good catch nclark, thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies