I own a 2 family home. My father lives with me, I claim him every year on my taxes. My mother lives in the other apartment. I do not charge her rent. can I claim them?

They are both disabled and receive Social Security Disability.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Do either of them have any income besides SSDI, such as pensions, IRA's, investments?

Your mother does not have to live with you to be your tax dependent.  She must have taxable income less than $4050, and you must provide more than half her total support.  The fair rental value of the apartment that she uses for free count as support you provide, but you also have to consider her food, travel, entreatment, utility, clothing and medical expenses.  If (after counting the value of the rent and any other support you provide, and counting all her other needs that might be paid for from social security or investments or other family members) you provide more than half the total, then she is your tax dependent.

and the same for your father.
Hal_Al

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,000 (2015)
3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support
In either case:
4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

Social security doesn't count as income, for the income test, but social security money he/she spends on her self does count as support not provided by you, for the support test. Money he/she puts into savings & investment does not count as support she spent on herself. Note that a parent is closely related so there is no requirement that she live with you at any time, during the year. But if you provided a home it helps your support case, unless they own the home you live in. If no one person (or married couple) provides 50% of the support (for example your siblings are also sending support), then a "multiple support agreement” (IRS Form 2120) can be used, to allow you to claim the dependent.
The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf"...> The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, divided by the number of occupants.