dheerajbills

I owed IRS taxes for tax year 2016 and I paid $4321 for Federal and $1234 for state (CA) when i filed my return in 2017. Can I use this somewhere in my 2017 tax return?

SteamTrain

The $1234 of 2016 state tax  balance due and paid in 2017  can be used as a part of your 2017 Federal income deductions if you have enough total deductions to itemize deductions on  your Federal tax return.......the Federal payment can only be used as a state income deduction in a few states...don't believe CA allows it anywhere.

Finish ALL of your Federal income entries first....then when you get to entering all the stuff on the Deductions&Credits page, look for the "Other Income Taxes" and go in there. There is a line for entering "Balance due on 2016 state taxes paid in 2017" where you will go in and enter your $1234

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain