Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueball

I owe the IRS money for 2017. If I wait to pay until April 15, will I incur any interest? Am I better off paying in February of April?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL1
Level 15

I owe the IRS money for 2017. If I wait to pay until April 15, will I incur any interest? Am I better off paying in February of April?

If the money owed to IRS is for the 2017 tax year, there is no interest if paid in full by April 17, 2018 (the due date of the return).

I think it is good to pay a little early to make sure it is timely paid and no interest will be charged. If you pay in April, pay a few days before the April 17th to be safe. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelL1
Level 15

If the money owed to IRS is for the 2017 tax year, there is no interest if paid in full by April 17, 2018 (the due date of the return).

I think it is good to pay a little early to make sure it is timely paid and no interest will be charged. If you pay in April, pay a few days before the April 17th to be safe. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v