turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rc_sauer

I owe on the federal but am getting a refund on the state. How can I file the state to get the refund to cover the federal which I will file later on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I owe on the federal but am getting a refund on the state. How can I file the state to get the refund to cover the federal which I will file later on?

You  cannot e-file a state return unless your federal return has been e-filed and accepted.  You can e-file your federal and say on it that you will pay your tax due by check.  You do not have to pay until the deadline of April 15, 2019, so that would give you time to receive your state refund.  Then you could either mail in the 1040V to the IRS with your payment or use the IRS direct pay site to pay.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Taxes owed cannot be deducted from a tax refund, federal or state.
In Step 2 of the File section you are given specific options on how to pay the taxes owed.
rc_sauer

that's not what I asked.  I want to be able to file my state return first so my money is in the bank when I find and file my federal return later on in April.  How do I do that with TT?

You  cannot e-file a state return unless your federal return has been e-filed and accepted.  You can e-file your federal and say on it that you will pay your tax due by check.  You do not have to pay until the deadline of April 15, 2019, so that would give you time to receive your state refund.  Then you could either mail in the 1040V to the IRS with your payment or use the IRS direct pay site to pay.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies