turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe $4 federal taxes. Can I still e-file my federal and state and mail in my payment or must I mail everything in?

I never owed federal tax before so am unsure of procedure to follow.  I have completed both federal and state returns and owe federal but not state.  Can I pay federal online or must I mail my federal return in order to pay the $4? Can I e-file federal and then mail check with a 1040-V and B copies of of 1099-r? Would my federal return have to be included with these documents?  Could I e-file federal and then pay IRS online somehow?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I owe $4 federal taxes. Can I still e-file my federal and state and mail in my payment or must I mail everything in?

Yes, you can still e-file your Federal Tax Return even though you have a balance due.

Once you e-file your Federal Tax Return, the only thing you need to do is decide how you will pay your $4 balance due.  Here are your options:

• Set up in TurboTax for your payment to be debited from your account and sent to the IRS on a specific date.  Click here for instructions: How does Direct Debit Work?

• Pay the IRS with a check or money order by mailing your payment with Form 1040-V.  If you choose this option, you only need to include your payment with Form 1040-V, you DO NOT need to include Form 1099-R.  You would only include Form 1099-R with your Form 1040 if you decide to mail your return instead of e-file.

[Edited 03.04.2019|1:44PM]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still e-file your Federal Tax Return even though you have a balance due.

Once you e-file your Federal Tax Return, the only thing you need to do is decide how you will pay your $4 balance due.  Here are your options:

• Set up in TurboTax for your payment to be debited from your account and sent to the IRS on a specific date.  Click here for instructions: How does Direct Debit Work?

• Pay the IRS with a check or money order by mailing your payment with Form 1040-V.  If you choose this option, you only need to include your payment with Form 1040-V, you DO NOT need to include Form 1099-R.  You would only include Form 1099-R with your Form 1040 if you decide to mail your return instead of e-file.

[Edited 03.04.2019|1:44PM]

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

@Tatter Tom Edited to add Direct Debit Option through TurboTax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies