turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe 15,000 in child support, I have my children, lived with me all year, if I claim them on my taxes will that part of my refund be offset as well?

if so is there a way I can try to fight the offset since that's money I paid for my children throughout the year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

I owe 15,000 in child support, I have my children, lived with me all year, if I claim them on my taxes will that part of my refund be offset as well?

Yes. Unfortunately the offset is based off of your social security number.  This means that your entire refund is subject to the offset whether you claim your dependents or not.  The only way to fight the offset it to speak with the agency that has filed the debt with the IRS.  The IRS does not provide a means to argue the debt yourself.  The Bureau of Fiscal Service-US Dept of the Treasury is the agency that collects these debts. You can visit their website for more information about how offsets work. https://fiscal.treasury.gov/fsservices/gov/debtColl/dms/top/debt_top.htm

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndreaG

Yes. Unfortunately the offset is based off of your social security number.  This means that your entire refund is subject to the offset whether you claim your dependents or not.  The only way to fight the offset it to speak with the agency that has filed the debt with the IRS.  The IRS does not provide a means to argue the debt yourself.  The Bureau of Fiscal Service-US Dept of the Treasury is the agency that collects these debts. You can visit their website for more information about how offsets work. https://fiscal.treasury.gov/fsservices/gov/debtColl/dms/top/debt_top.htm

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies