SummerKing19

I owe 15,000 in child support, I have my children, lived with me all year, if I claim them on my taxes will that part of my refund be offset as well?

if so is there a way I can try to fight the offset since that's money I paid for my children throughout the year?

AndreaG

Yes. Unfortunately the offset is based off of your social security number.  This means that your entire refund is subject to the offset whether you claim your dependents or not.  The only way to fight the offset it to speak with the agency that has filed the debt with the IRS.  The IRS does not provide a means to argue the debt yourself.  The Bureau of Fiscal Service-US Dept of the Treasury is the agency that collects these debts. You can visit their website for more information about how offsets work. https://fiscal.treasury.gov/fsservices/gov/debtColl/dms/top/debt_top.htm

AndreaG