turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

libovh

I obtained an installment plan while completing thru Turbo Tax. Will I receive reminders to make these payments? I should not also apply on IRS.gov?

I want to make sure I am not duplicating the request for a payment plan if I apply online.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I obtained an installment plan while completing thru Turbo Tax. Will I receive reminders to make these payments? I should not also apply on IRS.gov?

No, if you filed a request for an installment payment agreement online through TurboTax, you do not need to apply via the IRS website.

The IRS will respond to your application for an installment agreement with a Letter 2273C. The following, taken from the IRS website, explains that letter and what happens next. If you asked for direct debit of your payments, that information will also be confirmed.

"Letter 2273C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is this letter and why am I receiving it?

This letter confirms that we have accepted your oral or written request to pay what you owe the IRS in installments. The letter contains a specific dollar amount for you to pay each month and when your payment is due. It also provides the address that your payments should be mailed to. You are provided a dollar amount for the necessary fees we charge to establish an agreement. The letter provides instructions on how to apply for the Low Income Fee Reduction (if you qualify).

What do I have to do?

The letter tells you what your payment due date is. Mail your payment in sufficient time (allow 5-7 business days) to reach us by the payment due date. It tells you what items you need to put on your check so it can be correctly identified and applied to your account.

How much time do I have?

The letter will tell you when your first payment is due.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If you fail to make your payments, enforced collection action may be taken to collect the amount you owe, including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages and/or bank accounts.

If you have questions, call the number listed under "How to contact us" in your letter.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

You should contact us at least 10 days prior to your payment due date at the phone number shown in your letter."

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelMc

No, if you filed a request for an installment payment agreement online through TurboTax, you do not need to apply via the IRS website.

The IRS will respond to your application for an installment agreement with a Letter 2273C. The following, taken from the IRS website, explains that letter and what happens next. If you asked for direct debit of your payments, that information will also be confirmed.

"Letter 2273C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is this letter and why am I receiving it?

This letter confirms that we have accepted your oral or written request to pay what you owe the IRS in installments. The letter contains a specific dollar amount for you to pay each month and when your payment is due. It also provides the address that your payments should be mailed to. You are provided a dollar amount for the necessary fees we charge to establish an agreement. The letter provides instructions on how to apply for the Low Income Fee Reduction (if you qualify).

What do I have to do?

The letter tells you what your payment due date is. Mail your payment in sufficient time (allow 5-7 business days) to reach us by the payment due date. It tells you what items you need to put on your check so it can be correctly identified and applied to your account.

How much time do I have?

The letter will tell you when your first payment is due.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If you fail to make your payments, enforced collection action may be taken to collect the amount you owe, including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages and/or bank accounts.

If you have questions, call the number listed under "How to contact us" in your letter.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

You should contact us at least 10 days prior to your payment due date at the phone number shown in your letter."

MB1307

How long does it take from the filing to receiving the letter from the IRS. Is it and email letter or a physical letter.

What should i do if I do not receive the letter?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies