If you log in and there is no longer an orange button "Take me to my return" in your 2016 Tax Timeline, and TurboTax thinks you are finished, here's how to open your unfiled return back up so you can continue working on it..
In the 2016 Tax Timeline, go to the section "Some things you can do."
Choose "Add a State." (that doesn't really add one, but will open the return back up.)
Did you make a payment for taxes due when you filed the extension? Here's how to navigate in Online TurboTax to the place to enter the
extension payment you made so you get credit for it on your 2016 return. If
you used TurboTax to file the extension, it *might* be prepopulated,
but you should check anyway.
- Under the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal tab in Home and Business)
- Click subtab "Deductions & Credits."
- "I'll choose what I work on." (or it may say "All tax breaks.")
- Scroll down to topic "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
- Find subtopic OTHER INCOME TAXES, and click START or Revisit.
- On the "Other Income Taxes" screen choose the type of extension payment you made and click START (or Update). Be sure you choose the correct year.
- Continue the rest of that section.
Once you have entered the extension payment (or confirmed it if
it's prepopulated), then before filing verify that you are getting
credit for it.
- If filing a Form 1040, look at Line 70 of your Form 1040 and verify that the Federal figure is correct.
- If filing a Form 1040A, look to see if the amount is included on Line 46, and "Form 4868" is written near the Line.
- If filing a 1040EZ, look to see if the amount is included on Line 9, and "Form 4868" is written near the line.