Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I need to file head of household.

my husband is claiming our daughter on his taxes but i pay childcare
1 Reply
New Member

I need to file head of household.

Head of household rules: (note: TurboTax will walk you through this also)

Things I found on the IRS website:

Filing Status
Question: I am divorced with one child. This year my ex-spouse, who is the noncustodial parent, will claim an exemption for our child. Do I still qualify as head of household?

You may still qualify for head of household filing status even though you aren't claiming an exemption for your child, if you meet all of the following requirements:

    You're unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
    You paid more than half of the cost of maintaining a household that is your home and the main home of your child for more than one-half of the year.
    Your child is either your qualifying child (whether you can claim the child as a dependent or not) or your qualifying relative whom you can claim as a dependent.

 Question: To qualify for head of household filing status, do I have to claim my child as a dependent?

Generally, to qualify for head of household, you must have a qualifying child or dependent. However, a custodial  parent may be able to claim head of household filing status with a qualifying child even if he or she released a claim to exemption for the child. See Noncustodial parent is claiming an exemption for my child; do I still qualify as head of household?

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies