Solved: I moved out of my parents house at the start of September, and have been providing for myself all year (minus rent), can they claim me as a qualifying child or dependent?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jocastillo95

I moved out of my parents house at the start of September, and have been providing for myself all year (minus rent), can they claim me as a qualifying child or dependent?

I'm 22, made over $28K working full time, and was not a full time student. I did not pay rent to my parents, but I paid for all of my other expenses (car,  insurance, gas, food, etc). I did start paying my own rent when I moved out at the beginning of September.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15

I moved out of my parents house at the start of September, and have been providing for myself all year (minus rent), can they claim me as a qualifying child or dependent?

Since you are age 19 or older, not a full time student and your gross income is $4,050 or more, then no one can claim you as a dependent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DoninGA
Level 15

Since you are age 19 or older, not a full time student and your gross income is $4,050 or more, then no one can claim you as a dependent.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings