Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clandis7

I moved during a tax year and a collection group is claiming we owe $300 for the 1-1/2 months we lived in the second area. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved during a tax year and a collection group is claiming we owe $300 for the 1-1/2 months we lived in the second area. Is this correct?

the lack of details could mean the the collection group is trying to recover unpaid rent.        Or maybe they're are some other unpaid bills like traffic tickets,  credit cards.  who knows.       Now if your are willing to share some more detail maybe we can help.     From the little info provided we can't even tell if this regards local or state taxes. 

clandis7

I think what may be happening is the township where we finished the year is trying to tax us for the income we made throughout the year in another location. The income they are claiming we need to pay taxes on is what we made during the entirety of 2016, but not during the 1-1/2 months we lived in that particular township. Can they tax us for money we made in another part of the state (where we paid local taxes)?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Are you sure this is a legitimate demand for payment  and not a scam ---  how did they contact you, is it a business, city  or what ?  Verify that this is legit  and if this is a city/state -- call and find out  why are they wanting  you to pay etc.   Lot of scams around -- some even legit looking.

You really didn't indicate where you moved from and where you moved to....and even if it was in the same state...and what that state was?

IF for PA, there are a couple of PA people around, but from what I recall, PA township taxes must be done separately from TurboTax.  Still.... , @retiree    or @LindaBelmont  or @re2boys  (perhaps a coupe others)    Might know teh answer anyhow, if you clarify whether you moved into a new PA township, and whether it was from within PA, or from outside of PA. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

In PA many local municipalities (townships) outsource billing & collections of local taxes to several companies that even though they are legitimate use form letter, etc. that seem very much like (scam) bill collectors.  Your best bet is to contact them by phone and find out what it is for.  Better yet, call the township and ask them what it is and who handles tax collections (company, address, phone number).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies