turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Angry11

I mistakenly agreed to fees and penalties on a CP2000. I simply didn't know how to record my paid taxes for company stock and paid double tax. Can I get my money back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I mistakenly agreed to fees and penalties on a CP2000. I simply didn't know how to record my paid taxes for company stock and paid double tax. Can I get my money back?

Well if the IRS changes were incorrect or your return was incorrect then you can amend your return however the penalties and/or interest paid may not be refunded but you can request it.   If the amount is significant you may wish to seek local professional assistance. 

if the stock acquisition was taxable then it's likely that tax was withheld and included on the w-2. in these situations some of the stock would have been sold to cover your share of the taxes that had to be paid.  you could check with your payroll or similar department at your company.

On Form 1040-X, IRS says: 

Ignore penalties and interest previously paid, or expected in future.

IRS will recalculate.

You can mention it in Part III that you expect your penalty to be recalculated.

@Angry11 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies