Solved: I'm trying to do a "what if". How can I see my spouses return if I file married filing separate. I seem to be able to only see mine.

I'm trying to do a "what if". How can I see my spouses return if I file married filing separate. I seem to be able to only see mine.

I'm trying to do a "what if" without having to create another tax return. I want to see what my spouse would have to pay if I filed married filing separate but I can only see what mine would be. Is that a way to do that?

No, that's not the way to do it. 

The what-if (worksheet) feature works on a Married Filing Jointly return. You have to enter both your information into one tax return. Afterwards, you'll find the What-if worksheet and indicate, at the top of the form, that you want to compare MFJ versus MFS. Scroll down and view the results.

1. Open your return and select Forms in the top right corner of the window.
  2. Click Open Form and type What-If Worksheet (it may appear as What-If Wks).
  3. Check the MFJ vs. MFS box at the top.
  4. Scroll down to Balance Due (Refund) located under Line 74.
    • The second column shows the federal outcome for a joint return, and the third and fourth columns, respectively, show the outcome for the taxpayer and spouse if filing separately.
    • Negative numbers are refunds, positive numbers are taxes due.

However, this doesn't give you the whole picture because it doesn't account for your state taxes. For a true apples-to-apples comparison, you'll need to create test returns.

No, that's not the way to do it. 

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! I knew if was here but couldn't figure out how to get to it.

You're welcome! You're welcome! You're welcome!!! Thank you for using TurboTax. We really appreciate and it's nice to know I can help. Have a great tax year!  See: Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449</a>

Oh I knew MFJ would be better. In the middle of a divorce and wanted to make sure I would be ok. 🙂

O, O.K. Sorry to hear that. Take care.