turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm still working on my 2021 taxes. How long will my information be available within the portal (without filing, so I may continue to work)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm still working on my 2021 taxes. How long will my information be available within the portal (without filing, so I may continue to work)?

The TurboTax 2021 online editions will be available up through October 17, 2022. 

After that date the 2021 tax return can only be completed using the TurboTax 2021 desktop CD/Download editions and the 2021 tax returns then can only be printed and mailed, they cannot be e-filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The TurboTax 2021 online editions will be available up through October 17, 2022. 

After that date the 2021 tax return can only be completed using the TurboTax 2021 desktop CD/Download editions and the 2021 tax returns then can only be printed and mailed, they cannot be e-filed.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you. 

So if it gets close be sure to save your return as the data file ending in .tax2021 before Oct. 15, 2022 in case you have to finish in the Desktop program and if you ever need to amend in the future.

If you used the Online version you should always save both the PDF file and the tax data file each year (before online closes Oct. 15) so you have a copy when you need it or if you ever need to amend it in the future.  You shouldn't rely on getting a copy from Turbo Tax.  Or if you want to use the Desktop program next year so you can transfer from this year.

Save the PDF

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf/00/26...

Save the tax file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies