turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm self-employed, but I haven't made any income yet. However, I have expenses. The 1099-MISC form I used is asking for a Payer's federal EIN. Do I leave it blank?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I'm self-employed, but I haven't made any income yet. However, I have expenses. The 1099-MISC form I used is asking for a Payer's federal EIN. Do I leave it blank?

If you are issuing a Form 1099-MISC to someone you paid to do work for you, use your social security number as the payer.

If you do not have employees you are not required to have a federal employer identification number (EIN) and the IRS does not want you to have one unless it is required.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you are issuing a Form 1099-MISC to someone you paid to do work for you, use your social security number as the payer.

If you do not have employees you are not required to have a federal employer identification number (EIN) and the IRS does not want you to have one unless it is required.

Thank you!!!
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies