• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
titania-kerlegan

I'm self-employed, but I haven't made any income yet. However, I have expenses. The 1099-MISC form I used is asking for a Payer's federal EIN. Do I leave it blank?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I'm self-employed, but I haven't made any income yet. However, I have expenses. The 1099-MISC form I used is asking for a Payer's federal EIN. Do I leave it blank?

If you are issuing a Form 1099-MISC to someone you paid to do work for you, use your social security number as the payer.

If you do not have employees you are not required to have a federal employer identification number (EIN) and the IRS does not want you to have one unless it is required.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you are issuing a Form 1099-MISC to someone you paid to do work for you, use your social security number as the payer.

If you do not have employees you are not required to have a federal employer identification number (EIN) and the IRS does not want you to have one unless it is required.

titania-kerlegan

Thank you!!!
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v