ukkats

I'm retired and have continued my medical insurance through my former employer. I received a form 1095-C. Can I report my medical insurance premiums on my taxes?

I'm not 65 yet so I'm not eligible for medicare.

Medical insurance premiums that you are paying out of pocket can be entered on your tax return under medical expenses.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2017—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

Are you paying premiums out of your taxable income?
ukkats

Yes

MEDICAL EXPENSES

Wasn't sure about employer sponsored insurance.  Thanks!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing