I'm reaching "How would you like to pay your feder...

oilchanunchida

I'm reaching "How would you like to pay your federal taxes?" I would like to use the IRS playment plan but I have another existing plan from last year. What should I do?

Should I click pay by check or request the irs payment plan? I read some article, If I request the new payment plan, it will default the new balance instead of combining them, so should I click pay by check and then consolidate the balance through an online portal?
DianeW777

Yes, you should select to pay by check, then use the information below to revise your installment agreement.  

You can request an amendment to the installment agreement by using this link.  Apply/Revise and installment agreement online.

Request by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-7650. You can completing Form 9465 with information about both the original agreement balance and the expected new balance.

Key Points:

1. The IRS does want you to have a plan that would pay as much as possible, however make your requested payment amount you can afford, because you don't want to miss a payment.  You can always pay more when you have it.
  2. Penalties and interest continue to accrue until your balance is paid in full. 
  3. Your future refunds will be applied to your tax debt until it is paid in full.
  4. Make all scheduled payments even if we apply your refund to your account balance.
  5. Check out the definition of 'Lower Income Taxpayers' (link above or Form 9465 Instructions)
oilchanunchida

Hi,

Same situation here

I already file and choose pay by check. Now if I want to consolidate the tax balance online ( combine the 2019 and 2020). Can I do it right away? Or how long should I wait? Right now I don't think I can do anything through online portal. I only can revise the method of payment, amount I want to pay per month and the date.

fanfare

read the instructions on the IRS website carefully.

you have to request to have your new tax due merged into an existing payment plan. this may or may not be approved.