townshend_cooper

I'm not sure that the deduction I was awarded is correct. It is much more than the amount of income I made in 2016.

I am a single student. I made around $3,000 last summer, and I've been given a deduction of around $6,500. This seems like too much. Am I doing something wrong?

That's right.  Everyone gets a Standard Deduction (or their Itemized Deductions whichever is more).  For Single the Standard Deduction is $6,300.

Are you filing independent from your parents?  If you are under 24 your parents can probably still claim you.  Better check with them.

townshend_cooper

Thanks a lot!