tmwatson1

I’m married filing jointly and my spouse is an independent contractor (1099-MISC), with roughly $3,000 in business expenses. Can she also claim standard deduction?

Coleen3

Yes. You are confusing business expenses with Itemized Deductions. You can either have the standard or itemize. You can take business expenses regardless.

tmwatson1

Thank you.
Coleen3

I'm glad it was helpful!

If you are filing a joint return your standard deduction is on line 8 for you as a married couple--or your itemized deductions from Schedule A--whichever is greater.  Your spouse can enter her business expenses on a schedule C--that is not the same thing as "standard deduction."

tmwatson1

Thank you.