liver7y

I'm legally married since 2010. Husband left the house late June 2016. We are in the process of divorce, but not yet divorced. Can I file married filing separate?

We decided to file separately. What is best for me: filing as "married filing separate" or "head of household"?

ChristinaS

You can always file Married Filing Separately. However, you would definitely want to select Head of Household if that's an option for you. HOH requires that you "keep up a home" for a qualifying person, such as a child. Because you didn't live with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year, this may be an option for you.

Please see FAQ on Head of Household below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

If you don't qualify for HOH due to not have a child, not paying over 1/2 the costs of your home, etc.. you may not want to rule out a joint return if its feasible. Married Filing Separate is sometimes a disadvantageous status.

ChristinaS