mtazamal

I'm legally married but my husband is a UK citizen and does not live in the USA, how do I file

LinaJ2018

If your spouse does not live in the US or does not have an SSN or ITIN, it might be easiest to file Married Filing Separately

However, you will not able to e-file.  You can still use the program to prepare the tax forms but will have to submit by mail.  

To file separately without the SSN or ITIN: 

• In the program, leave the SSN space blank
  • After completing the return, print out the forms.  Write “NRA” in the spouse's SSN space. ( NRA stands for Nonresident Alien). Do not leave the space blank. 
  • Submit all the forms and required documents to IRS based on the instructions on your print-out.

LinaJ2018