turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtazamal

I'm legally married but my husband is a UK citizen and does not live in the USA, how do I file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I'm legally married but my husband is a UK citizen and does not live in the USA, how do I file

If your spouse does not live in the US or does not have an SSN or ITIN, it might be easiest to file Married Filing Separately

However, you will not able to e-file.  You can still use the program to prepare the tax forms but will have to submit by mail.  

To file separately without the SSN or ITIN: 

• In the program, leave the SSN space blank
  • After completing the return, print out the forms.  Write “NRA” in the spouse's SSN space. ( NRA stands for Nonresident Alien). Do not leave the space blank. 
  • Submit all the forms and required documents to IRS based on the instructions on your print-out.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If your spouse does not live in the US or does not have an SSN or ITIN, it might be easiest to file Married Filing Separately

However, you will not able to e-file.  You can still use the program to prepare the tax forms but will have to submit by mail.  

To file separately without the SSN or ITIN: 

• In the program, leave the SSN space blank
  • After completing the return, print out the forms.  Write “NRA” in the spouse's SSN space. ( NRA stands for Nonresident Alien). Do not leave the space blank. 
  • Submit all the forms and required documents to IRS based on the instructions on your print-out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies