rjensen1810

I'm getting a MD state refund and turbo tax is telling me I have to make estimated quarterly state tax payments in 2017. Why?

PaulaM

Estimated tax vouchers will print automatically if you did not have enough taxes withheld for the year, or if the software detects a spike in income (even if you are receiving a refund). 

If you don't believe the estimated tax vouchers will apply to your 2017 tax situation, you may disregard them. See below when for scenarios when it might be a good idea to make estimated payments.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901110-do-i-need-to-make-estimated-tax-payments-to-the-irs

PaulaM