To enter a disallowed Wash sale:
Income & Expenses
- Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
- Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
- On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
- From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.
- Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to Enter sales one by one when asked.
- On the Now, we'll enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info.
- Check I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter and enter the disallowed wash sale loss in box 1g.
- Select Continue and answer any follow-up questions.
Note: You'll need TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, or TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Live Self-Employed, to add any 1099-B forms.
A wash sale occurs when an investor sells or trades a security at a loss, and within 30 days before or after, buys another one that is substantially similar.
- It also happens if the individual sells the security at a loss, and their spouse or a company they control buys a substantially similar security within 30 days.
- The wash-sale rule prevents taxpayers from deducting a capital loss on the sale against the capital gain.
- Wash Sale Rule
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"