Solved: I'm divorced and claiming one of my children this year for Taxes do I need to wait for my Ex-wife to file first before I claim him.

I'm divorced and claiming one of my children this year for Taxes do I need to wait for my Ex-wife to file first before I claim him.

No, you can file your tax return when you are ready. If you are not the custodial parent, make sure that you get your ex to sign either Form 8332 or a similar statement that she waives the right to claim the child. If you both claim the same dependent, the person with physical custody of the child for more than half the year is entitled to claim them.

As a further note, if you file your return first, and your ex tries to e-file and claim that same dependent, her tax return will be rejected by the IRS.