turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rustex007

I'm disable collecting SSI, but; i own my house pay taxes interest and insurance, sewer taxes, i have some odd jobs to help my income, can i file? not filing since 2014.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I'm disable collecting SSI, but; i own my house pay taxes interest and insurance, sewer taxes, i have some odd jobs to help my income, can i file? not filing since 2014.

The odd jobs to help your income produces reportable income for you. Most likely the IRS will consider it self-employment income if no W-2 is issued. So if the amount of earnings from your odd jobs are more than $400 you're required to report it. While you will not pay any taxes on the amount less than $6,350, if it's more than $400 you will pay the 12.6% self-employment tax.
It will be reported on SCH C as a part of your personal tax return. Now with self-employment income you can deduct business expenses directly incurred as a result of the self-employment, to offset the amount of that self-employment income that is taxable. With TurboTax online if you will not be claiming any business expenses at all, you can use the online version of Premier and all of the self-employment income will be taxable. If you wish to claim expenses against that income to reduce the taxable amount of that income, then you'll have to use the online version of TurboTax Self-Employment.
Now the desktop version of TurboTax Premier is cheaper and will allow you to claim business expenses, if you find that route more economical for you.
rustex007

what about all the property taxes, interest i pay for the mortgage, sewer taxes, shouldn't i get tax refunds for that?
Carl
Level 15

Sure, if you have a tax liability to deduct it from. Once your tax liability reaches zero, you can claim all the deductions you want. But you can't deduct anymore from zero taxable income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies