turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m confused. I viewed my previous years file and it does NoT show the children I claimed nor my credits. I then went to the irs website and saw the difference. Why?

I’m trying to amend a return. I claimed children that weren’t my own on my taxes. They lived with me but I didn’t know about the child day care credit as for only if you’re working. They did attend day care but their biological parent(I’m a relative )  paid the fee from another state. Also the daycare owner fudged the number so I’m not sure HOW much the daycare fees actually were. I want to amend and just omit the credit all together. I DId reimburse the children’s mother for the payments of daycare when I received my tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

I’m confused. I viewed my previous years file and it does NoT show the children I claimed nor my credits. I then went to the irs website and saw the difference. Why?

Since you technically paid for the childcare, some credit would make sense. I understand not knowing the correct amount and not wanting to get in trouble.

As for the children's missing information, technical issues would be the likely culprit. You need to move forward with correct information. When you download the software to do the amended return, the desktop software allows you to  do 5 returns. You want to just start a new return and completely redo the original. Save it to your computer, Then you can do the amended return.

Here are the steps:

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I viewed the 1040x form for the year I need (tax year 2017) and have NO clue on how to amend. I’m trying to totally just forfeit the childcare credit and put it down to zero. What line would that be ? Also ... if the kids lived with me fir 6 months would the amount be the same as if they lived with me for  a year for dependent tax ? I’m asking because they lived with me for six months but when filed the person said 7 months. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will amend the line for your child and dependent care credit during the amending process. Form 2441 reports all the Child and Dependent Care details. The bottom line on Form 2441 is reported on 2017 Form 1040 line 49.

No, not for 6 months exactly. The rule is that the kids must live with you for more than 6 months. The criteria is met whether 7 months or 12 months is reported. If the kids actually lived with you 6 months or less, then the qualifications would not be met to claim the credit.

The 2017 TurboTax CD/Download is your starting point to amend your 2017 return. You will need the same level that was used in the original filing. (If you did not use TurboTax, then look over the link for purchase. It highlights which each level adds from the prior level.) Once you have purchased the 2017 TurboTax CD/Download, follow these steps:

1. Download the original 2017 tax return and save it to your desktop. 
  2. Save the file a second time, but name it the same thing except include Amend in the name.
  3. Launch your 2017 TurboTax CD/Download and open your tax return that has a title which begins with the name "Amend" when prompted.
    • An overview of the steps in the launch link is here:
      • Search for amend and click the Jump to link
      • At Have you already filed this return? select Yes and I need to amend my 2017 return and Continue
      • Carefully follow the onscreen instructions to amend.
        • Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
      • When finished, the instructions for mailing your amended return are provided. It cannot be e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies