eveliaperez83

I’m claiming my 20 year old daughter this year. She worked part time last year. Does she need to file her own?

Bsch4477

Is she a full time student?  If not you can only claim her if you provide more than half of her support AND she did not earn more than $4,200. 

in any case she should file her own return.  If, in fact, she can be your dependent be sure she checks the box saying someone else can claim her. 

ReginaM

You can claim your daughter as your dependent as long as she meets the requirements below:

1. She is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. She did not provide more than 1/2 her own support,
  3. She lived with you for the entire year (or was away at school),
  4. Since she was older than 19, she also can not earn more than $4,200.

For more information, see IRS Publication 17, page 24.

She should file her own return, if for no other reason but to receive a refund of taxes that she paid.