haon0933971709

I'm a 20 yo part time college student. I work full time and earned $7000 in 2017, but I live with my parents, and they support me 100%.Am I a dependent?

I'm a 20 yo part time college student. I work full time and earned $7000 in 2017, but I live with my parents, and they support me 100%.   Can they claim me or do I have to check "someone can claim me" on my tax return?

No. You are not a dependent, since you are only a part time student and your income is more than $4,050.

TaxGuyBill

However, it is possible that your parents incorrectly claimed you as a dependent, so you may want to discuss this with them.  If you properly claim yourself but your parents have already incorrectly claimed you, your e-file will be reject.  If you then mail your tax return and both you and your parents claimed you, you will both get a notice from the IRS.