turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a 20 yo part time college student. I work full time and earned $7000 in 2017, but I live with my parents, and they support me 100%.Am I a dependent?

I'm a 20 yo part time college student. I work full time and earned $7000 in 2017, but I live with my parents, and they support me 100%.   Can they claim me or do I have to check "someone can claim me" on my tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm a 20 yo part time college student. I work full time and earned $7000 in 2017, but I live with my parents, and they support me 100%.Am I a dependent?

No. You are not a dependent, since you are only a part time student and your income is more than $4,050.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No. You are not a dependent, since you are only a part time student and your income is more than $4,050.

However, it is possible that your parents incorrectly claimed you as a dependent, so you may want to discuss this with them.  If you properly claim yourself but your parents have already incorrectly claimed you, your e-file will be reject.  If you then mail your tax return and both you and your parents claimed you, you will both get a notice from the IRS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies