shianne3460

I'm 18 and have a 7 month old. I just got around to filing my taxes and I can't claim my daughter as a dependent because my adoptive mom claimed me as a dependent. Help

MarilynG1

Did you have Earned Income to file a tax return?  Did you provide over 50% of your support?

If you worked and paid taxes, you can still file as a Dependent to get your taxes refunded to you.

Click this link for more info on Did I Support Myself?

mesquitebean

CAUTION:
For your safety and security, do NOT click on any alleged TurboTax Support links listed in this thread.  The forum is being spammed and the link posted above in the first response is not legitimate.  Also be aware that spam Support phone numbers are being displayed in some threads tonight as well.

You may get help in this thread today, or we can tell you how to reach official TurboTax Support during business hours if needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

your "mom" has the right to claim you as a qualifying child if all these rules are met:

1) you are the taxpayer's legally adopted child or place with the taxpayer for legal adoption
2) you are under age 19 at the end of the year 

3) you have the same principal abode as the taxpayer for more than ½ the tax year. 
4) you haven't provided over ½ your support
5) you didn't file a joint return 

if the answer to even one of these is no, your "mom" shouldn't have claimed you.   in this case, all you can do is print and mail your return. you can not efile.

eventually, the IRS will send each of you a letter asking for proof.