I’m 17 and have been living on my own for about ha...

b979f68784b9

I’m 17 and have been living on my own for about half a year now been working about a year now and filed my taxes for the first time and my question is can I get sued for tax fraud

If you have paid for over one-half of your own support you would not be a dependent.

However, for someone age 17 it would be extremely unusual if you actually paid over one-half.

Support includes rent, food, medical care, transportation, insurance (car, homeowner, rental), clothing, property taxes to name just a few.

Use this IRS worksheet to determine support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

If you can be claimed as a dependent, even if not being claimed, then you must enter on your tax return that you are a dependent.

Based on your age you would fall under the Qualifying Child rules in most cases -

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

fanfare

file truthfully and you will have no problems.

Meanwhile, keep good records.