I live in PA but work in MD. My wife made $0 income in 2017. I plan to file Married jointly. Is this right? If so, do I simply add my w-2 and nothing for her?

Regarding state income taxes, MD and PA have a reciprocal agreement such that MD will not impose MD state income taxes on wages of a PA resident. This only applies to W2 wages. You should have only PA income taxes deducted from your pay (or none at all).

If MD taxes were withheld in error, you will need to file a MD non-resident return requesting a refund.  Also get your employer to stop the withholding.

All income is reportable on your PA state income tax return regardless of where earned.  The MD wages are also reportable on your local PA municipal earned income tax return.

Yes... you will only enter your income on a joint return since she has none.

If you were married at the end of 2017 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will each receive the $4050 personal exemption, plus the married filing jointly standard deduction of $12,700 (add $1250 for each spouse over the age of 65).  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable.  In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI) If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing